Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Trolley at Greenbank and Duncan Road

I was asked on the previous post where the Marshallton Store sat at the intersection of Duncan and Greenbank Roads on property now owned by the apartments. It sat facing the Red Clay Creek, which would have been to the right of the trolley.You can make out the house/store as it sits in the far left in this photo. I was told by some old timers this trolley use to run to Brandywine Springs. If you click and enlarge the image you can make out the Marshallton sign in the trolley window. The milk cans? I have no idea unless it had something to do with the store, if it was still a store at this time. This was the end of the line on Greenbank Road. In the bottom right hand corner of image (top of bridge wall) you can see it stopped at Hersey's Bridge. Again, if you enlarge the image you can see part of the Marshallton Mill in the background. I do not know when this was taken but I am guessing if the trolley car was not there we may be able to see the old Hersey Grist Mill. It stood until about 1920 or so.


1 comment:

Scott P said...

Thanks, now I know exactly where it was. And I can confirm that the trolley did come from Brandywine Springs. It was a spur of the Peoples Trolley, the line that ran from Wilmington to the amusement park. They often used the trolleys for light freight, too, so the milk cans were either being dropped off or picked up by the trolley.

It almost looks like it's not operating as a store anymore by this point. And I agree -- I'd love to take the trolley out of the pic and see what's behind it.